Saturday, March 8, 2008

What's fun about being a landscaper?

A waterfall I designed and built about 6 years ago in North Shelby County


I spent lots of time at the creek near our home, in Homewood, Alabama, when I was growing up and my mom can attest to the fact that I came home very wet and dirty on many an occasion, so it's sort of fitting that I've chosen to make working with dirt, stone, water, etc., my vocation. Not that I am the only guy that got dirty playing in a creek as a little boy, but I will say I was REALLY into the creek!...just kidding...no more than most kids.
One of the main reasons I enjoy being a small landscape contractor (really small, as in often a one man operation), is that I get to be creative. I know there are mega companies out there that can install 20 ton boulders and 10 inch caliper trees, and have multiple corporate size projects going at one time. That's not me, but I'm quite happy doing what I do, working closely with my clients and developing some friendships along the way. I know lots of people that truly enjoy what they do for a living and I'm right in there with them. At a time when we are all hearing from the political pundits about what's wrong with America, I'd like to think there are lots of folks out there that are also feeling blessed for what ever they have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great looking work!