Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Harmony Landscapes on Snowflake Hydrangea

Meet the king of the hydrangea hill, at least in the Southeast, Snowflake Hydrangea. One of our own, Eddie Aldridge, a well-known local nurseryman, is the responsible party for this awesome hydrangea. The most common story I've heard concerning the discovery of Snowflake hydrangea is that one of Eddie's friends found this unusual hydrangea growing behind a church and brought it to Eddie's attention. He went on to patent the plant and literally millions have been planted. One of these days, I'll give Eddie a call and ask him what the real story is. "My gosh, manfromearth! You used to work for the guy!" I know, I know...I will call him!

Anyway, back to the Snowflake. It's an awesome plant that should definitely have a place in your yard. Much like the Harmony hydrangea I mentioned in a previous blog, Snowflake tends to appreciate some shade and some sun, but not too much of either. Of course, it loves to be treated nicely with respect to soil conditions....a nice, composted soil environment with good drainage. Always remember to prune after they bloom, but before early to mid July. And don't forget, hydrangeas will really respond positively to a fall planting.


A few Snowflake hydrangeas I planted for some customers in Vestavia, AL

No comments: