Sunday, May 3, 2009

Stone in the yard

A couple of months back, I spent several weeks working for some nice folks in Vestavia. They were having a very large deck built off the back of their home and they didn't want many rails on the deck to obscure their view of the yard. In order to comply with code (a deck without railing must be within so many inches of the ground), a lot of dirt had to be brought in, but in an eye pleasing way. That's where I came in. Building a stack stone retaining wall and incorporating some large stepping stones, I was able to make the deck "legit" and find a home for some of my favorite plants, like Helaborus, Daphne odora, Aspidistra, and Osmanthus. I ended up spending a little time in other parts of the yard, as well. The video, below, focuses on the stone work.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Look at you getting all high-tech with the video! And what's that I hear in the background...guitar? Anyone I know?

themanfromearth said...

Thanks Debbie. I enjoy doing the videos, although, I do wonder if I'm being a lazy blogger. Anyway, I doubt I'll quit my job to become a videographer. The guy on guitar is Andy McKee...I think he's very talented and would encourage anyone to download some of his music.

themanfromearth said...

PS...to all who enjoy this music. Andy McKee is a wonderful guitarist and his cd's are available at all major and minor music outlets. I emailed Andy, myself, and he personally gave his permission for me to use his music on this web site. The Gates of Gnomeria and The Art of Motion are his two major releases and they both received very positive critical acclaim.