Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Early childhood memories

Early childhood memories about a flower, plant or tree are had by many of us. Maybe, if the memory is a particularly happy one, it is what makes us appreciate nature and eventually spark a fondness for gardening in our adult years. There is such a memory for me that is still quite vivid in my mind’s eye. I remember a sprawling tree in my grandparents front yard in Houston, Texas. It was a most inviting friend…a mimosa tree that occupied at least half of the tiny yard. My brother Joe and I would run from our parent’s car to the old tree, scurrying up its capable branches to gain a bird’s eye view of the goings on below. The smooth bark made climbing, hugging (or holding on), and sliding down the naturally made play set an easy task. There were other things about the old tree that made my memories of it even more vivid, like the puffy pink blooms and the fun seed pods that followed later in the year. And, of course, I loved my grandparents. Perhaps the sight of the stately mimosa tree as we approached my grandparents house served as a beacon, guiding us to a wonderful, loving home that we always looked forward to visiting. Do you have a plant related childhood memory?

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I just planted my first mimosa in my backyard this year. I hope it has happy memories like that soon!