Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Yaupon Holly - Ilex vomitoria

Why am I blogging on Yaupon Holly? Could it be because I have one in my front yard? Perhaps I'm blogging on it because it is a fine evergreen plant that works as a screen or a specimen when limbed up. Don't forget that it is native to Alabama and other nearby states and has a fine show of red berries every fall through to spring! Nope....I like it's scientific name and the story behind it - Ilex vomitoria...



Yaupon (Ilex vomitoria) was a sacred shrub to American Indians throughout the Gulf Coast region, where it grows. The leaves contain caffeine and, when used in small amounts, can be made into a mildly stimulating drink. The local American Indians, however, used it in great amounts to induce vomiting (thus the scientific name, Ilex vomitoria) during their rituals. Europeans, observing these purging ceremonies, gave the plant its species name.

3 comments:

Jake and Age said...

thank you!! i like ur blog...

peggy said...

thanks for posting that great picture of a big yaupon with lots of berrie!! How long do you think it took to get that big? Do you think they would make good street trees?

themanfromearth said...

I planted a Youpon in my front yard about 3 years ago. It was around 3 feet tall then and has grown about a foot a year. I was really thinking it would be faster and I'm holding out hope that it will speed up a bit. I haven't begun to limb it up into a tree shape, yet, and that may help. If you can get a large one to start with, I'd do that. And yes, I think they make a very nice street tree....a little slower than many deciduous trees, and a tree that has more of a spread, relative to its height, than many small trees.