Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Legend of Sasqwood

Somewhere in the tiny town of Alabaster, AL, a woody creature lurks. The legend and folklore is alleged by many, known by few, but spoken of by none. Until now. Call me crazy? If not for these undoctored photos I took one late March afternoon in the year 2008, I suppose I'd call myself and my claims crazy too!


I first noticed the ellusive beast as he wandered past some potted plants in my back yard. Do you see him (or her, I don't know?) resting next to my rosemary plant?


He tried to run away, but the unexpected fencing stopped him in his tracks. Suddenly, he was faced with a decision: Be caught or run for the cover of a corner foundation shrub!


I decided that I should lay back and allow this barked creature to calm down, so I waited a few minutes before continuing my pursiut. That is when I found him hiding in this American holly.














My strategy paid off as Sasgwood began acting as if no one was there. I even caught a rare glimpse of him grazing on some wax ligustrum leaves.


Suddenly, this amazing beast heard the click of my camera and became alarmed. I ran after him to no avail as he was just too fast for me. My last snapshot is a blurry one of Sasqswood running with abandon across my backyard into some surrounding woods filled with the cover of native azaleas and hydrangea.

















Will this wonderfully woody creature find his way back into close proximity of this population of human lifeforms? I'll be waiting with camera in hand, if he does.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I knew your place was fun, but I had no idea that sightings were part of the package! You should sell tickets!
:)