Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Harmony Landscapes on Harmony Hydrangea


This is a Harmony hydrangea planted in my yard...doesn't my hand make a fine prop?

Just to set the record straight, as far as I know, Harmony Landscapes, Inc. was formed at least a few years before the oak leaf hydrangea, 'Harmony', was named. Regardless, I clearly won't take credit for the naming of one of my favorite plants.
Secondly, I absolutely think oak leaf hydrangeas (Hydrangea quercifolia) are a wonderful fixture in Southern gardens and, of course, a most recognizable native plant in the woods of the Southeast and elsewhere. Through the years, oak leaf hydrangeas with special characteristics have been either discovered or hybridized and, in the process, become quite popular. 'Snowflake', 'Pee Wee', and 'Alice' are a few that come to mind and are available at some of your better garden centers.
Harmony hydrangea is especially interesting to me. What sets it apart from the native species is its blooms. The blooms are huge! And they are double, which is probably selling it short. They may very well be triple, quadruple, etc.

Photo: Harmony hydrangea planted under the shade of a Crepe Myrtle

I've planted quite a few of this particular hydrangea and I've found it to be quite the curiosity. Like all hydrangea, they thrive in good, composted soil with excellent drainage. I've found Harmony hydrangea to do especially well in filtered afternoon shade. My experience is that, in full sun, the blooms become so large that they tend to weigh down and drag the ground. Also, older Harmony hydrangeas seem to support the heavy blooms better (some weigh as much as one pound each). So, if you do plant one or a few, be patient. The wait will be worth it. One thing is for sure, Harmony hydrangea is an eye catcher. Note: Fall planting is ideal for hydrangea. Also, while hydrangeas respond well to hand pruning, remember that any pruning done after around July 1st is likely to remove next spring's hydrangea blooms. Your best bet is to prune Oak leaf hydrangea just after the peak of their bloom cycle, which in Central Alabama, is around mid to late June.

1 comment:

Gayle Thomas said...

Rob we just love our new front yard and all you did for it. Your professional work went far beyond my expectations and I love the unexpected little surprises you came up with. We are very pleased with all that you did and we will highly recommend you. Thank you so much!
Gayle and Robert Thomas