Saturday, May 10, 2008

My Mom: Queen of the Jungle


Under the old Pecan tree at her Aunt Rachael’s house was where she pretended to be Sheena, Queen of the Jungle. My mom played and dreamt and found comfort there along with her trusty canine companion, "Boy". Growing up in Texas and living their, now, my mother gained an appreciation for plant life and has become quite the gardener so I thought I’d post some of her gardening thoughts by virtue of an interview she unknowingly (I know, mom’s always know!) gave me last night on the phone.
MFE(manfromearth): So mom, do you have any early childhood memories that have to do with plants?
MOM(my mom): Well, of course, I remember the pecan tree at Hershel and Rachael’s house. They didn’t have many plants, but there was a fig tree and Uncle Hershel grew vegetables. And, oh yes, the lantana bush! I was telling Darlene, a fellow nurse that I used to work with about the plant and she said, “Melba, that sounds like a lantana”. She went home and gave me a piece and I just grew it.
MFE: What are you growing in your yard this spring that you find particularly interesting?

MOM: I love the Hibiscus. I’ve got red, salmon and pink in my back yard where it’s sunny. I’m also growing Mexican petunias (see picture to the right) and plumbago (see picture below).
MFE: Mom, those plumbago will be blooming soon, right?
MOM: No, they are in bloom now. I have impatiens that came back from last year and also geraniums, marigolds, and Mexican heather.
MFE: And is George growing any vegetables, mom?
MOM: Yes, he has pots with squash, tomatoes and peppers.
MFE: Sounds like you have lots going on in your yard to keep you busy.
MOM: I have red tips in my back yard that are growing so tall that I can walk around in my nightgown.
MFE: Mom!




So, there you have it. My Mother’s Day garden interview with my mom.
Happy Mother’s Day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this interview really impressed mom. she is telling everyone about it. love ya'll, george