Thursday, July 17, 2008

Recommended Quick Trip...


PHOTO LEFT: Here is a shot I took of the Horton Mill Covered Bridge, located just a few miles down the road from the Oneonta Wal-Mart












If you just happen to be in the area or want to make a day trip out of it, Oneonta has a lot to offer... for such a small town. There are several covered bridges in Oneonta that you can visit. As for driving across them, I'm not sure about that. I do remember driving across the Horton Mill Bridge several years ago. I had my son, Jake, along for the ride the last time I crossed over the bridge and I have to say, it was exciting, scary, and nostalgic, all at the same time.


VIDEO ABOVE: Would I have driven across the bridge if it hadn't been roped off? Sure, adventure is my middle name!



One block off of main street, there are several cool shops where you can browse local folk art (Donna and I are the proud owners of a beautiful brown hand made fruit bowl that we purchased a few years back), antiques, old time hardware, and more. And there are more than just a few good eateries around town that will satisfy any craving you might have.
A few miles outside of Oneonta, you can visit Palisades Park. There are some awesome rock outcrops and bluffs there. Palisades Park is a great place to go rappelling or simply take in the awesome scenery.
If rock peaks your curiosity, stop in at one of the many stone companies located in Oneonta. You can kill a half hour or more just dreaming about what you could do in your yard with a pallet or two of rock.
For more information on Oneonta and Blount County, try this web site: http://www.blountoneontachamber.org/

No comments: